Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Creative Genuises I Need Your Help!!

With my inhaled insulin earnings I want to redo my bedroom. This is the furniture I have to work with! What colors would you go for with the oak? I have thought about sanding it all down and painting, but that will NEVER happen. I thought maybe I could get new hardware. I don't love the oak, it is so 90's!

Suggestions would be appreciated.




5 comments:

Tim and Kristine said...

So did you decide against the dyson or are you doing both? I think that oak is a fairly easy color to work with. If you got "new hardware" what color would you go with? If you stayed with the old what have you had in the past? I think reds are always fun in a bedroom. Although lately I have really been into the dark brown and blue, it just seems very formal and welcoming. I have also seen some dark brown floral patterns that I just love! Do you think you could make a dark brown work with the oak, I can't really picture it.....I'll keep thinking!

Melissa Miller said...

I think I am just going to get a better vacuum than the one I have now. I still can't decide though. The Dyson is just so expensive, but it's so awesome.
I haven't looked into hardware, but I was thinking just a wrought iron type-ish.
I would love to do a brown floral, but I can't decide if that would work either.
We have had a cream color ensamble, then the one pictured, then the blue and sage green (to go in the BLUE room, in the old house), and then back to the poppies.
I do like reds, and I've always wanted toile, but then again I don't know if that would go.
Maybe I should just buy something, and stop acting like it is the most important decision I have ever made in my life. BUT, it is fun to think of these things...for me anyway!

Anonymous said...

Sis,

I think I sent pics of my kitchen to you in the past. It was that light oak just like your bedroom set and I painted it white (swiss coffee from home depot- behr brand) and I used a special primer. It was some work, but I really got into it and it was kind of a fun project. I also added new hardware and I think it has made a world of difference. I like it so much more. I don't know if white is the answer for you for a bedroom, but the idea of painting might update things a bit. My friend mimi had a dining room china cabinet that was similar to your stuff that was oak and she painted it chocolate brown. She put brushed nickel hardware on it and it looks great. Hardware can do a world of difference.

As far as colors. Do you still like robin's egg? I love it with black furniture and brushed nickel hardware and frames with black and white pictures. Does that make sense? Just a few thoughts...

Benji Pearson said...

I remeber when you got that furniture. it was so cool and trendy, but it totally looks like its from the 90's. its good quality though, i think new wrought iron hardware is a great idea. That bed is awesome i have always liked that. you should use that to your advantage. you could stain it darker but thats alot of work...keep the elegant feel of the sleigh bed and try to distract the 90's feeling of the dressers with new hardware and other accesories like elegant pictures frames and candle holders....or anything from Rodworks or Tai Pan...just some thoughts....its cute how it is but if you want a change those are my ideas.

Melissa Miller said...

Punky, When you re-did your cabinets did you have to sand it down first? That is what I don't want to do. Black would be a gar-geous arnage farmal though!! Would it be too hard to redo it?

I found a lovely robin's egg and brown comforter upta TJMaxxes. I am seriously considering it.