Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Apparently, I'm not bossy enough!



It's September 13, 2000 our baby boy has just been born.

People: "What are you going to name your massive 8 lb 8 oz bundle of joy?"

Me: "We are going to name him Christopher James, but he will never be called Chris."

...a few weeks later...

Megan (Matt's cute 9 year old sister): "Oh you are so cute Chris"

Me: "...topher"

Megan: Look how big you are Chris"

Me: "...topher"

Matt's dad picked up on this and starting calling him "Topher", it stuck.

...fast forward to preschool graduation...

Miss Julie: "Our next graduate is Christopher, he has the longest name in our class, and he write the WHOLE thing out EVERY TIME!"

I am beaming with pride. I've taught my son well, he will be known as Christopher, and not Chris.

...Kindergarten...

I over heard a neighbor boy calling him Chris.

Me: "It is okay to tell your friend that you liked to be called Topher instead of Chris"

Christopher: "But I don't like to be called Topher I like Chris"

Me: "GASP, oh um, we'll just stick with Christopher then"

...First Grade...

Christopher: "There is only one human in our ward that calls me Chris, and that is my primary teacher" (I'm not sure if the non-humans, in our ward, call him Chris too!)

Me: (in my mind...'well, that is only one person out of about 200, we're okay')

...yesterday...
The above picture came home...look closely at the name.

"CHRIS MILLER"

Me: (again in my mind...'WHAT THE...')
Me: "Oh you wrote 'Chris', do people call you that at school?"
Christopher: "No, I just like it better"

...maybe I've lost the battle...

Disclaimer: I have nothing against the name Chris, I just reallllllly like the name Christopher!

3 comments:

Tim and Kristine said...

Maybe you are loosing your boss appeal. You must start now, no backing down and WIN every battle! That made my day, kids will be kids no matter how hard we try they are always going to do things their way! Good luck.

Anonymous said...

He is NOT a Chris!!! You might as well call him Joe. I feel your pain, love. I am not Liz. I once had a neighbor call me "Beth" every time he saw me... for about 3 years. I have no idea how he got it, but I never corrected him.

Interesting post.

Melissa Miller said...

I know, Chris just doesn't go with him! I think that is so funny that someone called you Beth. I'm just crackin' up right now thinking about it!