Tuesday, March 18, 2008

I'm Such an Over-Reactor

So, its book fair time at the school. I did my duty and helped out. I told the kids they could go play on the playground (somehow the playground is so much more fun after hours!). As the kids were walking out the door one of the custodians told Madeline that the doors would be locked in half an hour. Madeline came and told me that the custodian said the doors would be locked in half an hour. I told her I would be done in half an hour, so she was fine to go outside. Apparently, she propped the door open with a pop can.

La, di, da now thirty minutes later. We are walking down the hall to go to the car. Above mentioned custodian comes up to me, finger pointed at Madeline and says, "I want to talk to your daughter about propping doors open, and going outside when I told her not to". Um, excuse me. First of all jerk-of-a-man don't point your finger in such a threatening way at my 9 year old daughter, and he has no say if Madeline goes outside or not. It's after school.

Him: "I told you not to go outside. if you ever pull that again I will march you down and turn you into the Principal".
Me: "you can't talk to her that way. I told her she could go outside".
He: "well she can't prop open the door".
Me" "okay, I know she did something wrong, but you can't talk to her like that".

Madeline at this point is outside crying. While he was ranting she held it together. She just nodded and said "okay".

So angry man goes into the office to tell the principal his daring feat...I don't know maybe he thought it was okay to threaten and yell at kids.
I follow him in and we try to explain to the Principal what happened. Principal is just confused, so he says lets go talk in my office. Old ornery man doesn't come in (Principal told him he didn't have to , which is fine). The Principal asked me to explain what happened. I told him what I saw and heard, my side.

Me: "He told Madeline she could not go outside. Are they not allowed to play on the playground after school?"
Principal: "no, that is fine".
Principal: "in his defense, it is for safety reasons we can't have the doors open".
Me: "I understand that. I know Madeline should not have propped the door open, that is not what this is about. It is the way he talked to her. He terrified her, he can't talk to kids that way."

Principal understood my side and said he would talk to old man grinch (my words, not Principal's).

I think the Principal handled it very well. He said he would talk to Lee about being means to kids. I have had one other interaction with this old fella and he was really onery then. If your an onery old man, don't work at a school with kids. Because kids will be kids. Principal said he would talk to Madeline in the morning if she still felt nervous.

Gosh, I'm a cry baby!!

3 comments:

Tropicanna said...

We had a really mean janitor at my elementary school too. I was terrified of him! Not a fun experience for either of you. Why do people who don't like kids work at a place full of them? He wins the grouchy pants of the year award!

Melissa Miller said...

I agree with you on the award part and he realy scared me!!!!

love,
madeline

Benji Pearson said...

I have a lot of thoughts on that so I don't know what to say, but good for you for taking care and sticking up for your sweet little gal!